Feb 18, 2019, but we are also encouraged by the stories of our readers finding help through our site. During these challenging times, we guarantee we will work tirelessly to support you.
It’s a good idea to update your Mac programs before the change to Catalina. Third-party developers, including Microsoft, have been using and testing Catalina for some time, so they should have already updated their apps to work and take advantage of new features. Update Microsoft Office for Mac from any Office program Help Check for Updates. Sep 23, 2015 Office 2016 is a much welcome upgrade for any existing Office installation, particularly for Mac users who’ve been suffering under the rather awful Office 2011 with its ugly, clunky interface. Office 2016 brings welcome uniformity by making the Mac version nearly identical to the Windows version. Microsoft Update. Recommended updates for your Microsoft software. Xbox and games. Updates and developer tools. Windows Phone. Apps, SDKs, and updates. Hardware drivers. For printers, cameras, network cards, and more. This is your 365. Discover what's possible every day with Office 365. FOR UP TO 6 PEOPLE FOR 1 PERSON. Follow Microsoft. If your version of Microsoft Office came with your PC, you can download or order a backup version. Thank you for purchasing Office! Download to your new PC now. My copy of Office came with my new PC. Download one of these versions of Office to your computer: Office Home & Student.
Download updates from Office Mac or use AutoUpdate under Help in the menu bar. More Info on updates
Support our site SIGNUP FOR HOSTMONSTER.COM
Support our SiteOffice365 Home Premium 1YR Subscription
- Pre-Install Tips
- Install Office 2008
- Install Office 2011
- Update Entourage
- Update errors
- Import/Export Help
Download updates from Mactopia or use AutoUpdate under Help in the menu bar. Even if you prefer to download from Mactopia, use AutoUpdate to keep you notified of updates. It will NOT automatically install the update.
Remove Office Test Drive
Special Bulletin: Before you install Microsoft Office, you must first remove the Office Test Drive from your computer. Use the 'Remove Office', application to completely remove all Office files. You'll find 'Remove Office' in the Office Additional Tools folder.
Note: Remove Office does not remove your Microsoft User Data folder. (this is the folder where all your mail/data is stored). It does remove any registration keys and preferences for Office.
- Read the directions! This includes the download page for the updaters.
- OS X: Quit any applications that are running, including virus-protection applications, all Office applications, Microsoft Messenger for Mac, and Office Notifications, because they might interfere with installation. How to quit Notifications
- Easy way: Disable login items. Log out/in. Hold down the Shift key until startup is complete.
- If you use 'Remove Office', backup your normal file, custom templates and custom dictionary (found in Preferences). Otherwise, “Remove Office” will delete those files.
- Normal file: Note: starting with Office 2004 the Normal template is moved to the MUD folder, but the Templates folder is not moved.
- You'll also need your CD key when you re-install.
- Using 'Remove Office' does not delete your Microsoft User Data folder that contains your email messages.
- 'Remove Office' is different from dragging the MS Office folder to the trash. It deletes invisible files and preferences used by MS Office.
Tips when upgrading Entourage mail:
- Clean up your database before importing
- Export your contacts
- Make a backup of your database
- Empty your Deleted Mail
CD Key/PID/Serial number
Carefully check whether you entered the key correctly. For more help, see here.
If you can't update then Microsoft has probably disabled the CD key in the installer because it has been pirated and spread over the internet. If you have a legitimate copy contact MS Customer Service to get a new key.
Many copies sold on eBay do not come with legitimate CD keys.
If you ever sell your computer you need to be sure to remove your CD key. If not, the next thing you know it will be all over the internet. See below for options to delete the CD Key.
The PID (Product IDentification) code is used to register. Registeration is not required and serves no useful purpose. It will put you on a Microsoft email list.
'Registration' has nothing to do with the operation of the software - unlike the Activation required for MS Windows software. It's little more than a marketing tool.
Resetting your Mac Office Registration number
When you first install Office, you type in your product CD Key, which generates a PID (Product IDentification) code. (a product ID will look like this: 11111-130-0001111-12345. This is used to receive support from Microsoft.) The product key is on a yellow or bright orange sticker on the CD package. This is what is used to install.
- The Home & Student and Student & Teacher versions come with 3 product keys/licenses. This can be used on 3 different computers. This cannot be used in a work environment.
- The Standard version comes with 1 key that can be used on two computers (1 desktop and 1 laptop) but you may not run both at the same time. Close one before you launch the other. e.g. Excel on one, but Word on the other, will still conflict, because they are tracking Office, not any individual program.
If you need to change the CD registration key for any reason, The following options can be used:
- Easy way: launch the Remove Office application in the Additional Tools Folder in your Microsoft Office 2004 folder. After you launch the application. Press the option key at the first dialog window and the button changes its name to read 'Remove License Info Only.'
- Download Mac HelpMate (freeware). Mac HelpMate has an option to De-Serialize Microsoft office. Open the app, authenticate by clicking the lock, click on Clean, then choose De-Serialize Office.
- Quit all Office applications. Trash the files listed below and then re-launch any Microsoft application. Your copy of Office will act as if it has been reinstalled and allow you to enter new serial number and registration information.
- /Applications/Microsoft Office 2004 (or X)/Office/
- OfficePID (normally an invisible file)
- Carbon Registration Database
- Office Registration Cache
- Microsoft Office Settings
- /Applications/Microsoft Office 2004 (or X)/Office/
- Office for Mac 2008 users: (above methods do not work)
Tip: Download EasyFind to find and trash the invisible OfficePID file (Spotlight won't find invisible system files). Turn on the 'Invisible Files & Folders' option when you search for an item named 'OfficePID'. Select the file in the search results window and choose File > Move to Trash.
Delete these two files on one of the machines:
~:Library:Preferences:Microsoft:Office 2008:Microsoft Office 2008 Settings.plist
where ~ is your home folder, and
HD:Applications:Microsoft Office 2008:Office:OfficePID.plist
When you start an Office app, you'll be asked for a CD Key.
If the above fails, please try the following
Microsoft Office For Mac Download
- ApplicationsMicrosoft Office 2008 folder
- Your User FolderLibrary PreferencesMicrosoftOffice 2008
- Reinstall Office
Is there an easy way to do trial and error and change the key if it was already used?
If you look in the Application menu for the About item and display that, it will display the Product ID to you.
If you find two machines on which all but the last five digits match, the same key was used on those two machines.
It won't tell you 'which' key was used, just that the 'same' key was used.
Disable Network check
See the tip posted on MacOSXHints. Office X used port 2222 and now Office 2008 uses 2223 for Network PID Checking. I don't condone software piracy. Use this script only as described in the tip.